The importance of transferable skills
Graduates need to identify the job specific and transferable skills they need to develop to be competitive in the job market. This video focus on the competencies employers looks for in graduates. The additional readings, development plan, and resumé template, will provide graduates with a better understanding of the competencies needed to be successful in the job market and how to present their skills in their CVs.
Who else might find this useful?
Postgraduate students and supervisors may find this video helpful.
Complete the following Individual development plan to determine your training objectives for the next year and to use as a basis to write the skills and competencies section in your CV.
Explore these additional resources
- Denecke, D., Feaster,D., & Stone, K. (2017). Professional development: Shaping effective programs for STEM graduate students. Washington, DC.: Council of Graduate Schools http://cgsnet.org/ckfinder/userfiles/files/CGS_ProfDev_STEMGrads16_web.pdf
- Segal,K. (2012). Employability: Transferable skills that matter. European Association for International Education. https://www.eaie.org/blog/employability-transferable-skills-that-matter/
- Vitae: Professional development readings and resources https://www.vitae.ac.uk/researchers-professional-development, https://www.vitae.ac.uk/vitae-publications/rdf-related/researcher-development-framework-rdf-vitae.pdf/view
- Skills for Success: Cornell university https://hr.cornell.edu/sites/default/files/skillsforsuccess.pdf
- Transferable Skills Flyer https://www.tcd.ie/Careers/downloads/Transferable_Skiills_flyer.pdf
- Ten top transferable skills https://www.wikijob.co.uk/content/interview-advice/competencies/transferable-skills