The examination process: auditing your work before submitting it for examination
Video, 9.41 minutes.
Who else might find this useful?
Postgraduate students and supervisors may find this video helpful.
Use the questions provided on the following blog to evaluate the different sections of your dissertation/thesis. Assess every aspect of your work as you write the different chapters. Discuss your evaluation with your supervisor during supervision sessions. Repeat the evaluation once you have your complete draft ready for examination.
Link to 40 questions: https://ndphblog.wordpress.com/2017/05/09/40-practice-questions-for-viva-preparation/
Explore these additional resources
- Carter,S. (2015). The examiners-perspective lens for doctoral editing. Doctoral Writing. https://doctoralwriting.wordpress.com/2015/03/27/the-examiner-perspective-lens-for-doctoral-editing/
- de-Miguel, Mario (2010). The evaluation of doctoral thesis. A model proposal. RELIEVE, v. 16, n. 1. http://www.uv.es/RELIEVE/v16n1/RELIEVEv16n1_4.htm
- McKenna, S (2016) Questions your reader should never have to ask. Doctoral Writing. https://doctoralwriting.wordpress.com/2016/02/02/questions-your-reader-should-never-ask/
- Starfield, S. (2015). Writing your thesis with the end in view. Doctoral Writing. https://doctoralwriting.wordpress.com/tag/making-an-examiner-friendly-thesis/
Articles and books:
- Carter, S. (2008). Examining the doctoral thesis: A discussion. Innovations Education and Teaching International 45(4), 367-374.
- Golding,C., Sharmini,S., & Lazarovitch, A. (2014 ) What examiners do: What thesis students should know. Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education, 2014 Vol. 39, No. 5, 563–576, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/02602938.2013.859230
- Mullins, G. & Kiley, M. (2002). ‘It’s a PhD, not a Nobel Prize’: How experienced examiners assess research theses. Studies in Higher Education, 27: 369-386
- Trafford, V. and Leshem, C. (2002). Starting at the end to undertake doctoral research: Predictable questions as stepping stones. Higher Education Review, 34(4), 43-61.
- Trafford,V & Leshem,S. (2008). Stepping Stones to Achieving Your Doctorate: Focusing on Your Viva from the start. Maidenhead: Open University Press. See Appendix 10.2 Audit instrument.