A Research Degree Toolkit
Thinking about doing a research degree but don’t have a clear idea of what it entails? This toolkit was designed to guide postgraduate students through their postgraduate research journey. The toolkit covers five sections with information that can help get postgraduates started, as well as further readings and resources for those who want more. Please remember that this toolkit is intended as a general guide – you do need to always check with your supervisor and department whether the advice within this toolkit applies to you.
Go to interactive presentation
Developed by Stellenbosch University, Postgraduate Office. Thanks to Stellenbosch University, Postgraduate Skills Development team, with special thanks to Ronel Steyn, the original creator of this interactive version.
Explore these additional resources
- a handout version of the toolkit (condensed handout and slides in .pdf format) is included with the interactive version. Links to webs and additional materials are included in these .pdf versions
- the .ppt slides are also included should an institution wish to download them and adapt them specifically for their contexts
- Memorandum of understanding
- Initial meetings
- Gantt chart
Who might find this useful?
- This Research Degree Toolkit is potentially useful to prospective postgraduate students who are thinking about doing a Master’s or Doctoral degree. It gives prospective postgraduates a comprehensive idea of what embarking on a research degree entails and highlights areas that prospective students may not have considered, thus allowing them to make sound, informed decisions before applying.
- This toolkit may also be useful for supervisors to illustrate the key research stages to their students.